Sunday, July 17, 2016
Soil Solutions to Climate Problems
After watching Soil Solutions to Climate Problems, I think there are a few things I learned that are worth mentioning.
-There are more organisms in a handful of soil than there are humans on earth.
(Crazy right? No wonder soil is so important)
-We rely on soil for 95% of what we eat.
(With agriculture ruining our soil this is an important point to remember. We are accelerating the loss of this resource.)
-When soil is damaged it releases carbon dioxide into the environment.
( This is the beginning to the climate overheating which is something I didn't know before this video. I always knew soil was important but I never realized how impactful the harm of it is in the bigger picture)
-There is not enough carbon left in the soil, more than 50% lost
(This was so disappointing, learning just how much our human behavior has damaged a crucial resource)
-Timed grazing, keeping the soil covered, planting a diverse variety of crops helps put carbon back into the soil.
(Although I'm not a large scale farmer, I practice some of these things already at the farm that I grow my families garden on. I'm glad I'm doing something that is helping instead of hindering.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment